Thursday, December 12, 2013

Polish Pinchers

freshly pinched, waiting to be boiled.
 
I asked if anyone was interested in getting together to make some pierogis this year and halleluiah Aunt Kathy, Aunt Rita, and Michelle were thinking the same thing.  Somehow it all came together and we all met at Michelles house in Zeeland last Sunday. 
 

Aunt Rita concentrating hard on pinching them just right.

I grew up with pierogi.  My grandma made them every year.  She used to make them with her church ladies and sell them as a fundraiser for her church. 
I remember my aunts getting together at Grandma Borowys house to make them.  I remember having them for Christmas and Easter.  We always had them for the holidays. 
 
Aunt Kathy pinching some noodles with the leftover dough.
 
When grandma got older and wasn't able to make them as much it just wasn't the same to not have them for the holidays.  A couple years ago my mom started making them on a regular basis and I know that my Aunt Kathy makes them too.  Its been so nice to have them again. 

boiled and waiting to be counted and bagged.
I'm a regular pincher.  I haven't been the dough maker or the dough roller yet.  I haven't been in charge of the boiling and stirring of them.  I sit at the table with my bowl of potatoes and my towel covered in flour.  I put the potato mixture in, fold the dough and start pinching.  I'm not as good at it as Aunt Kathy or Aunt Rita and I catch some flack for it but I try.  And I love doing it.

We made 26 1/2 dozen.  Ate 3 dozen and shared 23 1/2 dozen


While I'm sitting there pinching I find myself thinking about my grandma. I think about how I wish she was still around.  I wish that I would've been older when she started getting forgetful so I could've asked her things that I want to know now but was too young and immature to think about then.  I would've liked to have talked to her more about when she grew up.  I know she had a hard life but she never complained.  She always worked hard.  I wish that my kids would've been able to truly know her.  I think she would be proud that we still make pierogis.  I know that she would criticize the way I pinch, and how much potato I am able to put in one.  But I would give anything to have one more pierogi making day with her.  

 
The finished product. 
Although Aunt Kathy and I agree that you need yellow onions not purple that Michelle uses.  Truly it doesn't matter the onion, they still taste amazing.



I do hope that over the years my children will start participating in these days.  I hope that I will pass this tradition down to them.  I guess I better get busy learning how to make the dough. 


No comments:

Post a Comment