Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Pierogies



When my mom, Grandma Turkey, was here in December we were lucky enough to have her at our house for a couple days.  We decided to make a batch of pierogi.  I let the kids skip school if they promised they would help out. Of course they jumped at that!

 Jacob took the job very seriously.  He did a great job pinching.  Most of his were long with very little potato filling but boy they sure didn't fall apart.  Practice makes perfect.  I think he even tried some when they were cooked.


raw pierogi, dough and potato

mmmmmm, my favorite food!  Oh darn there were some broken ones that we had to eat.


Sarah sure liked them.  She ate her share of broken ones.  I think we made 5 dozen but ate a whole dozen ourselves.  The kitchen was a mess but we sure had fun.  I love to make pierogi.  I'm sure if it was something we did all the time I wouldn't love the pinching so much.  I love the thought of passing down a tradition from my grandmother.  



 These are my favorite pictures. 
My mom teaching my daughter how to pinch them just perfect. 
My grandma wasn't so kind when she was making pierogi, all business. 
Luckily my mom is a little kinder and patient with my kids. 
Great memories being made here.
 
 
For now I only make these with my mom, soon I'll have to learn how to make the dough so I can pass this tradition down to my grandchildren.  Right now I am content just being one of the pinchers. 
 
 


1 comment: