Saturday, January 28, 2012

Savannah Day 2

I would've come to Savannah just for these little beauties. Nobody told me that there are candy shops on every corner with delicious fresh and warm pralines, just waiting for me to buy them. I bought some with intentions of bringing them home to the kids but what was I thinking, they won't be fresh on Monday when they can eat them. So I had to eat them. Maybe I'll get some more tomorrow before I come home.....



This place is gorgeous. The maple trees covered in spanish moss are so pretty. I did learn today to "look but don't touch", apparently spanish moss is covered in chiggers.



Think ticks or lice, ewwwww.



So I've been looking and admiring and as much as I'd love to bring some home to MI you couldn't pay me to touch it. My friend Kelli had chiggers once, you should ask her about them, its a great story.



Jeremy had school Friday so I had the day to myself. Theres something about the freedom to go explore, or have lunch, or sit on a bench and read all by yourself that I wish I could enjoy more. Don't get me wrong I had a wonderful day but I kept feeling like I needed to be waiting for somebody or following a schedule. I went to Juliette Lowe's childhood home. She's the lady that started girl scouts. I didn't do the tour, just checked out the gift shop and house.
The picture below is the front of her house.


Below is one of the beautiful churches. There are so many of them. This is the church that is in the beginning of the Forrest Gump movie when the feather falls out of the sky. Also the tallest steeple in Savannah.


I also did a lot of window shopping. I don't think I bought a thing. boooo
The picture below was my favorite store. I spent at least a hour in here. There was so much to see. It was mostly kitchen gadgets but also a lot of different things. Strange things like every kind of salt and pepper shakers you could think of, change purses in the shapes of potato chip bags, ice cube trays in every shape you could think of... funny sayings on signs, napkins, plates, towels, purses, bags, etc.
The store was huge with high ceilings and gorgeous woodwork.


When Jeremy got home from school we headed to Bonaventure Cemetary. Apparently it is famous from the movie "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil"
I just love old cemeteries, Jeremy thought I was nuts to want to go there but he went.
I think once we were there he thought it was pretty cool. The picture below is a picture of one of the tombstones, it was really old. Doesn't it look like a face on it. The picture doesn't do it justice, it was kinda freaky. We walked around a little bit and then we took off to Tybee Island.



I didn't learn until after we left Tybee that this is where Miley filmed The Last Song. Apparently Sandra Bullock has a place out there too. It was a nice little tourist town.



I put my hands in the Atlantic Ocean, it was cold.

The water wasn't really that pretty, kinda brown. But it was windy and it did look pretty churned up. I do think that Lake Michigan is prettier.


After we left here Jeremy wanted to take me to a place called Huc a poos.


They had awesome pizza, the picture below is ONE piece. I had to cut it to eat it. $4 a slice and that slice is 1/4 of a pizza at least. It was very good. The bar was neat, it had stuff everywhere...old signs, dollar bills stapled to the ceiling, an old gas pump, recliners, guns, etc. I do compare it to Mahuffers in FL but a bit tamer. Let's just say I would take Jacob and Sarah to this place but I wouldn't allow them in Mahuffers. Huc A Poos was cleaner too, I wasn't afraid to sit down. I'm sure that is only because they serve food. I wouldn't touch anything made at Mahuffers.




So far this trip this is the only photo of the two of us. haha


Kinda hard when there's noone to take the photos.




Our last stop of the night was to Abe's on Lincoln. It is a little hole in the wall bar right across the street from our hotel. If I were Jeremy and I was alone here for a month, I'm pretty sure I would be hanging out here a lot. The bar maid was young and really nice. Her friend was in there with his dog who seemed to be a regular patron on the bar.




We're lame.


We've been back to the hotel by 9 each night and asleep by 10.


We're old.


Today is Saturday and I'll blog about today later but here's a little preview....we went on a trolley tour ride today (riding not walking) and now we're back in the hotel to "rest" cause we have a haunted city tour planned for tonight at 9.


Man I hope we can stay awake for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment