Tuesday, July 7, 2009

I Remember


This man is my grandpa Borowy. I took the kids to see "UP" yesterday. What a good movie. I heard so many different opinions about it. Some said that you had to see it, some said EH, some said bring tissues, some said ok but not Disneys best. I just really thought it was good. I think the squirrel part is overrated but there were other funny moments. But back to why I am blogging about it. The old man was so much like my grandpa Borowy that it made me think of him all night. He has been gone now for many years....but some things you'll never forget about a person. He had the thickest whitest hair I have ever seen. He was the hardest working man I have even met even to this day. He was grumpy but had a soft spot. I wish that I would've had more time to know him. I was young when he died and at that age I didn't realize how cool he was. I often pissed him off, my cousins and I would do things just to razz him. I don't think I ever really talked to him. He was always busy. He had an amazing garden. Two memories I think of often...One Thanksgiving I was making ham roll ups. I was only about 12 or so but I was helping my mom get ready. Grandpa and Grandma came early from Pinconning and Grandpa was sitting at the table watching me. Every time I would get the cream cheese spread and the onion all rolled up and get it cut he would pick up half of it and eat it. I hate making ham roll ups and I was so frustrated that he was eating half of what I was making. I don't think he really wanted any ham roll ups I think he was just doing it to torment me. Now whenever I make those I think of him. I wonder if he knows that. Another memory which is kinda silly, is shortly before he died, sometime that year I think we were at their house and for some reason he was walking around without his shirt on. I mentioned how he had a 6pack and he said go ahead punch me. Of course I said no way but he insisted, so I did. That man had the hardest stomach ever. And seriously at his age he had a rippled belly. He was an amazing man. I wish that I had known him better and I wish that my kids could've known him. So for those of you that have grandparents out there that you don't spend time with or haven't bothered to get to know, do it before its too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment