Wednesday, January 1, 2014

New Year, new recipe

Well day 1 of 2014 and we did absolutely nothing.  Slept in till 10 got up and watched movies all day.  Guy movies, I'm in desperate need of a chick flick.  Platoon is the current movie of choice. I do love the old Charlie Sheen, the normal one.
Anyhow I let myself believe I could lay around all day today because tomorrow I gotta get serious.  I am going to de-Christmas tomorrow.  Ugh one of my most  dreaded days of the year. 
So I'm happy to have brought in the New Year on a lazy note and I think my family was too.
I did make a new recipe today.
Sausage Chowder
It was delicious.  The photo doesn't really do it justice.  Jeremy really likes sausage, I however am not a fan.  haha whatever
But I do love potato soup so when I saw this recipe I thought maybe we could both be happy.  
I don't remember where I found this recipe, not claiming it as my own but I can't give anybody credit either.
 
Sausage Chowder
1 pound sausage (I used Bob Evans regular flavor)
1 onion (I used 3/4 of a medium onion since onion isn't my favorite and I'm happy I did)
2 lg potatoes (I actually used 6 med sized red potatoes with the skins on)
3 cups milk
1/2 cup half and half (I had half and half but if you don't just increase milk by 1/2 cup)
2 bay leaves dried or fresh (I used dried)
1 can cream corn
Cheddar cheese
EVOO
salt and pepper
In a large pot, brown sausage in a little EVOO.  Remove browned sausage in a bowl and cover with foil to keep warm (you add it back in at the end).  Add chopped onion to the pot and saute in the sausage drippings.  Add in potatoes, milk, half and half, salt and pepper to taste, and bay leaves.  Simmer 20 minutes or until the potatos are tender, stir often.  Once potatoes are fork tender, add the sausage back in and add cream corn.  Heat through about another 5 minutes.  Serve and top with cheese.
 
When I made it we weren't quite ready to eat when it was finished so I left it on really low for an extra 20 min or so.  I don't think it made much difference other than keeping it warm for us.
 
I didn't put cheese on mine but Jeremy did.  I just didn't think it needed it.  To each their own.  I will definitely make this again.  Next time I'll make some cornbread or beer bread to go with it.
 
 
So that was our first day of the year.  Tomorrow Jeremy is back to work and I'll be trying to enjoy my last day off.  Maybe I'll spend some time on pinterest trying to find more yummy recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment